Can this be used in Silverlight?

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:47 PM

This is a VERY interesting project, specifically because you've eliminated the HORRIBLE assemblies created in another appdomain, that can't be unloaded.  That has been a huge problem for me in the past.

I was wondering if you knew if this libraty could be used in Silverlight.

Thanks.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:45 AM

It has been compiled for .NET 2.0 so I don't know why it wouldn't. Yet I have to check. Do you see any specific scenario for Silverlight ?

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Yes, the use case is exactly the same for non-Silverlight.

However, in Silverlight, you could allow the user to script the user interface in a lot of different ways, or build applications that script interaction with the server.

BTW, are you also saying that this is a true interpreter, since it doesn't compile?

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I have not yet tried to compile it within a Silverlight project. I will do it soon.

And YES, I'm saying this is a true interpreter hence it doesn't compile.

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I have checked and the Silverlight compatibility is impossible for a lot of reasons. The classes used by Antlr prevents it. And even Reflection is not allowed, which would make Jint almost not useful.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:44 AM

I downloaded the ANTLR source code, but I haven't looked at it.

Reflection is allowed in SL, I use a LOT of reflection in SL.  However, SL doesn't recognize anything other than Generic Collections(no arraylist or hashtable), and you can't utilize any operating system functions.

Your code looks clean enough to compile, but ANTLR probably won't comply.

It would have been nice, but it's understandable.

Anyway, there are a ton of ways to use what you've done here.  We did this with RHINO in Java, providing javascript on the client & server made programming easy.

Your library will allow us do do a similar thing, and apply it to all clients, AJAX, Silverlight, and plain old posting back.

Thanks!