A big Thankyou to Jint's creators!

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Edited Sep 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I was the guy who a few months back asked about shortening the Jint startup lag, and then offered to pay the Jint creator/s a portion of my earnings (I'm still up for that if they change their mind!)

Well, I've been working hard on something called OpalCalc, a calculator similar to Soulver on the Mac, and maybe the most unique PC calculator that currently exists (even if I do say so myself!)

http://www.skytopia.com/software/opalcalc/

For the main core work, Jint works as a wonderful interpreter. I use C# for heavy string manipulation and the GUI generally, and then store up variables and functions within Jint's environment. I love the way stuff is 'remembered', so that you can execute lines arbitrarily at any point, with C# code inbetween etc. What can I say, Jint's worked simply and flawlessly. My own OpalCalc is surely just one example of what's possible with such an amazing library.

So Thanks go to the Jint creators: Sébastien, cin and neonp !!

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Great ! What don’t you make a Web App from that, you could also let users register and save their boards using Open Id, and monetize through ads.

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Cheers!

In its current state, I think client-side processing in the browser (Javascript) would be a bit too much for OpalCalc (apart from a moderate rewrite). Perhaps in the future when Windows etc. can run native .NET apps, that would be cool!

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I mean you can run the processing in the server ... I don't see the difficulty now you have done the client.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Hmmm, yeah sounds feasible I guess, though my current host (ICDsoft) doesn't support ASP/C#. Something to think about for the future though. Mono Touch sounds interesting as well.