Date and Time functions and JavaScript completeness

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:12 AM

I have been trying out some Jint with in some other applications and I noticed that there aren't many (or any?) JavaScript Date and Time functions implemented. Is there a road map for implementation of these sorts of functions?

Will this interpreter eventually be a complete JavaScript implementation? Or is it focused on being a partial implementation which allows your apps to be more dynamic.

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

We currently working on complete implementation of ecma 262.5

May 1, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Okay sounds good. I like it so far. For the date functions for now, I'll parse that back to C# to process.

May 1, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I'd be glad to know which date functions are not implemented ;) Because I remember the hard time I had to do them ... minus the littles bugs here and there.

May 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Hah, I just went back and tried it, and perhaps I was just too tired at the time, because it all seems to work. Sorry about that.

However, in the meantime I have found RegEx problems, though perhaps its my code?

For instance, the code bellow should return an Array of true and false. However, in Jint it returns true and true. I also tried your test patterns and they seem to be the same, though I might be missing something here.

var hello = "Hello";

var pattern = /Hello/;
var resultTrue = pattern.test(hello);

var pattern = /Test/;
var resultFalse = pattern.test(hello);

return new Array(resultTrue, resultFalse);

Have you guys thought about using Google's v8 engine? This might be able to save you the rewriting of all the javascript, and switch it to just making Google's implementation work in C#?

Either way I found a way around the above, by exposing .NET functions I needed.

May 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Has there been any standard tests/etc done, such as Sputnik ( http://sputnik.googlelabs.com ) to see how your progress is tracking?

Also, any data from SunSpider or similar, to test its performance compared to others?

Would be good to see some metrics like that on the home page.

May 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM

google v8 is ecma262.3 js runtime and there are a lot of difficulties in interoperation with this engine from CLR.

Using conformance suits and benchmarks isn't a priority for now since it's clear that Jint is far enough from standards.

I hope in the nearest future we'll made a new release with significant changes to provide stable and flexible API and more robust standards implementation.

May 3, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Sounds good! Either way, active development, documentation, and building a community around it is the key.

You've already got a good head start on the other .NET JavaScript implementations in that regards, as you're the most recommended project I've found. (The other projects are http://javascriptdotnet.codeplex.com/ and http://ironjs.wordpress.com/ )

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:46 AM

FYI, we have updated the source code to pass all sun spider scripts. The Jint.Play project currently executes them all and write how long it took. We are the slowest engine by far, but we do unique .NET interoperability at least ;)